26 January 2015

An Epoch

Dry-in, stage two is complete wahoo!

It has been a few weeks since posting, some rough ones in the middle where weather was decent but health was not.

First some catch-up -
Dec 26
Seems I've been a bit lazy in my posts and so I should mention that my good friend Rod came out post Christmas and helped me install the door, make some skilled cuts and also get plywood started on the roof. Following the New Years Day post weather for the weekend cooperated and I got 30# felt installed on all the roof albeit with light rain going on so I had to do this under the blowing tarp ending the day with a tar-paper shack.

Jan  11
A few weeks later on the 11th my father-in-law helped me get the front and rear walls sheathed and frame in the flip up roof. Big feature of that day was installing the pipe through the wall which acts as a hinge for the flip up!

 Scooter supervising cuts
3/4 pipe gets inserted
and a leg is installed for the flip

And here is how it looks with the tarp on the convertible side

Back to the present -
Saturday there was snow but the temp was heading toward 50 so I was eager to get out after being cooped up and ill. I was able to get most all the Ondura roofing on. It meant tromping in constant mud on the uphill side but a couple of cold toes couldn't slow things down.

My figures left me one sheet shy of completion where I'd needed to have one cut into 24" pieces to complete the last gap. Sunday was promising to be another fine day but I was tapped out on funds until my lovely bride came up with some extra and away I went!

Happy to report that all roofing is done and all the building needs is cedar siding on the front and back walls. Everything else will be the basic interior.


Tuftex panels complete the shell just as light rain comes in, the wall is
halfway lifted up here so I can screw in the bottom of each panel.

At this point it was good to feel like a complete structure. No more worries about weather ruining things means not being pressed for time even though every hour has been a joy. The wall is easy to raise and takes a couple of steps to ease it back down into closed position.

Transition from upper roof to flip-up wall
Just beyond tar paper shack

Above Left: Rubber shelf liner will bend in the gap

Above: Finishing roof panels

Left: Convenient built in hangers all around

The weather was nice on this day but in the summer a mosquito net will go around the  open deck.


This is how Sunday started.
No more tarp after this!

Buddy decided it was warmer if
he hung out in this corner.


For the next step I should be visiting the cedar mill for planks which will complete the outside shell, stay tuned for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment